Father's Day.

Today is Father's Day, and with that comes so many emotions with it for me. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful husband who is an amazing Daddy to our children.  He is so active in their lives, and they will both benefit from that later on, especially our daughter. I know firsthand how hard it is to grow up without my dad, and I don't want our children to know what that feels like until much, much later in their lives. I don't want them to experience it at all, but let's be realistic, it will happen.  I am also sad, because I haven't had my dad in YEARS..and by years, I mean 24. For a long time after he died, Father's Day was always so hard for me. I remember not long after he died, I was in class...second grade I think, and the teacher mentioned something about parents, and I just cried. She asked what was wrong and I told her I don't have 2 parents anymore, I only have one.  Now, I did have some fantastic male role models who stepped in and was there when needed. It wasn't the same, as it will never be the same but both mom and I were grateful to have them in our lives. My Godfather Joe was one of these men. He was always there when I needed him, as was my Godmother Chris. I don't know how I would have gotten along with out them for the longest time. They were there after Daddy died, and along with my mom did their best to make every birthday and holiday special. Just because. After mom and I moved up here, I became friends with James, and eventually his family "adopted" me as their daughter. I am the closest they will probably have to ever having a daughter as they have 2 boys. I call his parents "Mom and Dad". They have taken me in, so to speak and love me as one of their own. It's very evident how we feel about eachother. I LOVE how my children go NUTS when they see them, and they refer to them as Nana and PopPop. Joshua will start screaming POPPOP as soon as we turn onto their street. I am so grateful to have them in our life. So, eventhough my daddy died when I was little, I have been very lucky to have positive male role models throughout my life to fill the void, so to speak. Happy Father's Day, I love you all!

Donna

Comments

  1. That is really sweet Donna. It must have been really hard growing up without your Dad, but it sounds like he was looking after you and making sure you were still taken care of from above. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How far would you go to help someone?

Here it goes!