Isn't it Ironic, Don't ya think?





Anyone who was a teenager when this song came out, will understand why I named my topic of the post the way I did when I am finished.  My last post was in 2017?!! WOW!!! Just. Wow.  If you aren't a part of my daily life, then some of this may be a shock to you, or you may not give a crap, either way I'm writing this. I NEED to. I don't write for others, I write for myself. It's one of my POSITIVE coping methods. I was with one of my patients the other day, and she likes to journal. I made the comment that I used to write, and write poetry. She asked why did I stop? I told her that I mainly write when I am upset, or when something is going on. Saying that made me think. I NEED to get back into the habit of writing. It's something I have always enjoyed doing. Seriously. I used to be really good at it. So, with THAT being said,

In 2014, I became a CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT. :) This is a job I absolutely love. It's just like any other job, you have great days and just plain out crappy ones. For the crappy ones, you find someone who can relate, because they work in the medical field also. You cry, and vent, then continue on. Why? Because there are people who NEED you. They look forward to you coming to help them. They enjoy your company. Then there are those, who come flat out and tell you that "I love you". When you wipe the tears away, you give them a hug and say thank you. Why can't you  say thank you? Because you are not allowed to say it back. Which really, really sucks! Here is where the "Isn't it Ironic" part comes into play.

My dad became sick back in '83-'84 I believe. My mom had to put him into a VA nursing home, because she still had to work, and had a little girl to take care of. I remember the condition of the nursing home. To. This. Day. It wasn't pretty, and I will spare ya''ll the details. What I will tell you is that the experience of visiting him, had such a profound impact on me, that for YEARS after his death I REFUSED to step foot into any kind of nursing home. Well, one day back in the late 90's, my Mimi had to go to a rehab center after having surgery. I walked from High school to the Rehab Center to see her. Now, she was aware of how much I despised these places. It wasn't the people that were there, it was the "Home" itself. Needless to say, when I walked in, and went to her room to say she was shocked would be a severe understatement.

Fast forward a few years later, my mom became sick, and while I was with her in the hospital, I had become quite fascinated with the in and outs of caring for people, the compassion for both the patient and their families. I thought, maybe this is something I could do. I want to be as good as the CNA'S/Nurses that we have here, and better than some of the ones I have seen here. I had NO way of knowing that six years later, I would be attending school to become a CNA. If you had told me that, I would have looked at you like you had sprouted two extra faces and lost your ever loving damn mind. If you had told me that I would be working with GERIATRICS at that, I would have personally had you committed! Now, here it is 2019 and not only am I a CNA, I am a GERIATRIC CNA at that! Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How far would you go to help someone?

Here it goes!